Do you Require a Radio License for two way radios for the UK?

If you’re planning on getting a radio system for commercial reasons anywhere within the UK, you will need a 2 way radio broadcast licence. Based on Ofcom’s own site,


“If you use a radio system for your business then you will need a licence from Ofcom. Business radio users range from taxi companies and factories, to hospitals, care homes, industrial sites and transport operators. To begin the licensing process – and learn more about the specific licence you’ll need – (it then diverts you to a special application link)”.


The citation underneath is from Icom They offer a inclusive page that you should possibly take a look at before purchasing your radios. Their advice as is follows:


“You will need a radio licence to operate your two way business radios. This is issued by the Government Agency, Ofcom. Licensed frequencies are allocated on a case-by-case basis. You can get your dealer to program them into your radio”.


In addition they advise the client to,


“Get your local dealer to help with the licence application, they will advise on the best way to apply to get the channel you need”.

As well as pronounce that,


“If you wish to use your radios all over the UK and are not based in one fixed location, you can apply for a Business Radio Simple UK licence which is £75, renewable every 5 years”.


On the subject of price, it does appear that I can not tell you how much it’s likely to cost, as pricing is an individual thing also it will depend on your needs. When asked just how much a licence will cost, Icom UK claims,


“OK, the big question…unfortunately that is the one question we cannot answer, but your local Icom business radio dealer can. Often you will find that the radios you actually need are much more affordable than some you might have first looked at. Icom have a very comprehensive range at all price levels while still having the same quality and you could consider spreading the immediate cost by leasing rather than outright purchase”.


Icom then provide a link to finding a UK dealer, which I’ll add to the answer HERE Ultimately, any professional 2 way radio use would require a licence, so it is pretty significant that you just learn as much as you can about them (and what they entitle one to do).


Don’t be discouraged, however, gaining license to broadcast is not as complicated as you may think and the prices are likely to be more controllable than you are probably dreading they will be. Whatever you think of it, you’ll have to pay the fee, that’s just the way it is. In America, the FCC governs the licensing. Here inside the UK, broadcast licensing is maintained and controlled by Ofcom (as stated earlier).


As outlined by Walkie-Talkie, there’s a reason beyond naked profiteering:

“Most countries have some government agency in charge of who can use what radio frequencies. This is necessary to ensure that different organizations can use radio communications effectively without interfering with each other”.


So do a little investigation, fill out a couple of forms, or pass it onto this website and let tem do all the work.